Saturday 12 December 2015

Lala Salama

November was a very interesting month for me because I travelled with work to Kenya 1st and then Ghana the following week. This was just after coming back from Washington DC. I might just be warming up to the idea of flying. So here are some pictures. The ones from Kenya I was still using the not so good camera but the ones from Ghana I had replaced it (yippee!!!) so they are much better. Here goes:

Kenya
The traffic is Nairobi is something else. The day we arrived we were stuck in a horrible traffic jam from the airport. I have experienced traffic jams before but this one was something else. I also had a bit of drama in Kenya as I searched for a hospital where I could get a yellow fever shot because South Africa  requires it and would not allow me to enter with out it. At one hospital I was told I had to wait for 10 people because the vaccine was dispatched as a batch, I finally was able to get a shot on my 3rd day at Aga Khan hospital.

I really loved the hospitality we got in Kenya. They have this thing of giving you hotel towels before eating. I was pleasantly surprised when we checked in on the 1st night to find someone approaching with the warm towels and a drink at reception.


Stuck in another traffic jam on day 2 as I tried to find a hospital so as to get a yellow fever shot. At one point my taxi driver almost got arrested for attempting to make an illegal turn. I would have  been left stranded in the middle of Nairobi since the taxi had been hired for me by the organization where we were doing some training and getting another one would not have been simple.

Kenyatta University is where we were doing the training for YALI Fellows.

Do you see that color? The greenness in Kenya was good for the eye especially considering that in Southern Africa we are experiencing a drought. I was reminded how beautiful it can get when the rains are good. 

Hope for tomorrow. That's the Swahili words I remember :).

Ghana
Ghana was hot and humid. As we got off the plane I was hit with a wave of hot and humid air. There were no traffic jam incidences here. To my delight our hotel was right next to the beach. On entering the hotel to check in we were greeted by cool air - thanks to the good air conditioning. Inside all was well it was only on going outside that one was met by the unbearable heat.
Guess who I met whilst in Ghana???
Bono for the band U2!!! Of course I had to get a picture with him.
It was an honour to sit in the same room with 1 current president, several former presidents and many dignitaries.

Winner of the Mo Ibrahim governance prize for 2014 -  the former president of Namibia Hifikepunye Pohamba. My goodness this man can talk - the moment he went on for 10 minutes just making acknowledgements we knew we were in trouble. One thing that touched me though was that he was quick to invite his wife on stage and thank her for the support. I think they really love each other because they kissed when she got on stage and he kept her close and they kept looking at each other. It was beautiful to watch. But my goodness his speech was really long, he had to be politely cut off in the end.

Bono wasn't the only rock start present. The Grammy award winning Angelique Kidjo was present. This woman can sing and she is so full of energy. By the 2nd song she had people out of their seats dancing.

See what I mean - people on their feet. She is a natural perfomer.
Labadi Beach Hotel is where we stayed. It was a beautiful hotel. Loved it.
Also got a chance to laze around the pool...
And go to the beach which was just behind the hotel.

Love love love the beach. This one was a sandy beach, liked the feel of sand on my feet.

Look at those palm trees.

Taking pictures of my feet after the water had washed back into the sea.

I did a bit of writing on the sand but the sea was not willing to let it stay.
This guy was very persistent in offering a ride on his horse. He kept waiting and wiating willing me to change my mind. I took his picture instead.

After a long walk along the beach in the scrotching hot sun. I finially settled down on one of the deck chair for more relaxation.
Went to this market near Kwame Nkurumah Museum to get some soveniors. It was at this market where I was stalked by a certain necklace. Funny story really. When Carla my friend and I entered the market I expressed an  interest in a certain necklace but decided not to buy it. As we went around the market the necklace kept appearing with different messengers asking me to buy it. Right till the point we left the market the necklace was still following me. That was persistance right there on the part of the seller.
Ok that was the update on my Kenya and Ghana trips - two lovely countries. I am looking forward to doing more travels next year. Let's wait and see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...