Thursday 22 September 2016

Unexpected Loss

Last week I lost my uncle (my mother's brother). I was devastated because we were close. I am not always good with keeping in touch with people, so I would often go for long periods without communicating with him but he would always reach out to find out how I was. The last time I talked to him was on the 12th of July. He phoned and was so happy telling me that his grand daughter had just finished her last semester at university and she was going to graduate in September. Little did I know that that was the last time I was speaking to him.
A lot of my childhood memories are filled of going for holidays at his house and spending fun days with his family. One particular holiday I remember him playing a particular song almost everyday and encouraging us to dance. Oh how we would dance. I guess it was his song of the moment. This is the song, it has always and will remain to remind me of him:

I am going to miss you Uncle S. May your soul rest in peace.

So when we heard of his death, my brother and 2 other cousins made immediate plans to travel  the
2 560 km (back and forth) journey with a boarder to cross in between, road trip. It was not an easy trip since we encountered some delays along the way. It was worth it though. Here are a few pictures:
Imagine we got a flat Tyre. It just had to happen when it had just gotten dark.
The guys fixing the car.
I got to see my handsome awesome nephew. Love the way he looks right at the camera and smiles.
There  he is - learning to drive already?
Random picture on the way.
This is the place where Uncle S was buried.
Poor dog, it was so hot and he couldn't help  but sleep.
We left at 02.00 hrs on Tuesday early morning and where back by Thursday 14.00 hrs. This was a marathon journey and we were exhausted. But I am so glad that I was able to be there and bid Uncle S good bye. A summary of who my uncle was: he was a frank person who was not afraid to say what was on his mind. He was that kind of a person with whom you could have an argument with but within a short time he would have moved on, he did not keep grudges. He was a perfectionist and never accepted mediocrity. He loved people and loved God, the many testimonies given were proof of that. He is going to be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...