Saturday 6 February 2016

The One I Missed


I was of the view that I had read all of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency book series but I was wrong. I came across this one in the local library and of course I couldn't resist. I knew I was in for a good laugh. At some point I had to stop reading it in the bus because I kept giggling behind the and I was in serious danger of busting out in laughter. Mr. Smith you never fail to get me with Mma Ramotswe and crew. This is one collection I have to have in my personal library so that I can read again and again if I want some cheering up.

Here is an excerpt from The Double Comfort Safari Club, but to really get it I would recommend just reading the whole book or better still the whole series:
Side Note: Mma Ramotswe is the main character and the owner of the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency and Mma Makutsi her secretary (she is a riot).


'In the place which she always occupied, halfway down and at the end of the pew, a good spot to observe, Mma Ramotswe cast an eye over the congregation. There were no surprises, although she did not recognize one couple sitting towards the back, the man heavy-jowled, the woman wearing a blue hat and a shawl in a clashing pink colour – not a good combination, thought Mma Ramotswe, even if well intentioned. The Mma Makutsi School of fashion, she thought wryly, and then immediately took back the uncharitable observation, remembering where she was. But it was true: Mma Makutsi did not have a good color sense, and should not wear spots. Mma Ramotswe had been thinking for some years of saying something to her about that, but it was difficult. You could not say, A lady who has blotchy skin, Mma should not wear spotted blouses. You could not. And even if you were more tactful, saying something like, Spots are nice, Mma, but I think that in your case stripes might be better, there would still be a chance that the person to whom the advice was offered might ask why. Then, if you were truthful, you would have to explain. If you were truthful…'

It is scenes like this which get me laughing. Mr. Smith I hope you are penning another book in this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging State of Mind

2018 is coming to an end. It has been a crazy year and I can't believe that we are already looking at another new year. To be honest, bl...